12 for 2012.
12 of Our Favorite Stars in the Wisdom Universe.
1. Relax: "Be patient
toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves,
like locked rooms and like books that are now written in a very foreign tongue.
Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not
be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions
now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant
day into the answer."
2. Rebuild: "You will never truly know yourself or the strength of your relationships until you are tested by adversity. Rock bottom became the solid foundation upon which I rebuilt my life." J.K. Rowling, author/creator of the Harry Potter books and films. Click to watch her inspiring commencement address at Harvard University.
3. Metamorphosis: "What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." Lao Tzu (6th-4th century BC, exact dates are unknown)
4. Gratitude: "Count your blessings. Once you realize how valuable you are and how much you have going for you, the smiles will return, the sun will break out, the music will play, and you will finally be able to move forward the life that God intended for you with grace, strength, courage, and confidence." Og Mandino, author of The Greatest Salesman in the World (which has sold over 50 million copies and has been translated into 25 languages)
5. Peace Out (not Time
Out): "Create a Peace Zone, where children sit and think about how they
6. The Law of Action: "When thought becomes excessively painful, action is the finest remedy. " Sir Ahmed Salman Rushdie, author of the Booker Prize winning novel Midnightís Children (1981) and the highly controversial The Satanic Verses (1988).
7. Rose-Tinted Glasses: "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
8. Count Your Lucky Stars: "I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars." Og Mandino
9. The Wisdom of Walking: "I believe that there is a subtle magnetism in Nature, which, if we unconsciously yield to it, will direct us aright. It is not indifferent to us which way we walk. There is a right way; but we are very liable from heedlessness and stupidity to take the wrong one." Henry David Thoreau, from his essay on "Walking."
10. Watering the Seeds of Prosperity (instead of the weeds): "Chronic anger (complaining endlessly about what is wrong instead of creating what is right) is like watering the weeds in your garden." Natalie Pace, author of You Vs. Wall Street
11. Finding You: "There is a calling for your life. I go to work. It doesnít feel like work. It feels like breathing. Thatís when you know youíre home." Oprah Winfrey, billionaire, beloved media entrepreneur
12. When You Wish Upon a Star: "Laughter is America's most important export," Walt Disney.